Just a quick note to self.
INSTANCE / NODE CRASH (FAILOVER):
When the node goes down due to abnormal termination ( kill -9 or due to unknown reasons) Grid Infrastructure performs the following:
- First cluster tries to restart the instance in same node.
- If it is unsuccessful then it will start the instance in other node.
- If the instance name is orcl_1, when it failover to node 2 it will be still orcl_1.
INSTANCE RELOCATE MANUALLY(SWITCHOVER):
When Manually switchover is performed for relocating orcl_1 from Node1 to Node 2 (Instance Relocation) Grid Infrastructure performs the following:
- It will first create pfile( init.ora) automatically in node 2.
- In node 2 it will use the new pfile and start instance with a new name, i.e. orcl_2, this is due to both instances are required to be up and running for active sessions on the original node to complete or time out.
- Post switchover, it uses new instance name i.e. orcl_2
(31-May-2016). Retrieved November 3, 2016, from https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocContentDisplay?id=1540629.1